The Christmas Gift Book Set

The Christmas Gift Book Set
Giving children a "Stable Background" as they learn about the real meaning of Christmas

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Thought Conditioners

Dr. Norman Vincent Peale was the author of The Power of Positive Thinking.  When he was young he memorized 40 little verses, most of them ten words or less.  These have been published in a book called Thought Conditioners , which I am not sure is still in publication.  Here is a link to a pdf of all of them and Dr. Peale's insights:   Dr. Peale's Thought Conditioners.  Thank you Sermon Publications for making them available!

What a great idea!  You may have verses or sayings that just come into your head when something happens.  I know I do, but I don't remember ever making a point of memorizing them.  We may not know where they are found in the Bible or who said them, but they still impact our decisions and thoughts.

What if we made a point of teaching these simplified "Thought Conditioners" to our children?  Summer is a great time for learning together.  We could make cards with the verses on them and review them in the car on a road trip or at other times.

I have made a page titled Bible Verses to Inspire.  You can see the entire verses on the link at the top of this page.  I am using the NIV but you may prefer another version.  Some verses I memorized in the KJV and they just come naturally to my mind.  

I have shortened some verses, but have not changed the original meaning, to make them easier to remember.  I will include where they are found in the Bible.  I am not using all of Dr. Peale's original verses and I have added some of my own.

Here are some powerful Thought Conditioners:

1.  "What is impossible with men is possible with God."  
Luke 18:27



2.  "Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

3.  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."    Matthew 11:28

4.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."  Proverbs 3:5

5.  "If God is for us, who can be against us?"  Romans 8:31

6.  "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."
Psalms 46:1

7.  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

8.  "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."  Philippians 4:11

9.  "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him."  Psalms 62:5

10.  "The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9

11.  "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:13

12.  "God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:19

13.  "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  Jeremiah 29:13

14.  "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."  Psalm 37:4

15.  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."  Colossians 3:23

16.  "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"  II Corinthians 5:17

17.  "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  Isaiah 40:31

18.  "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."   Isaiah 26:3

19.  "He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear."              I Corinthians 10:13

20.  "The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."  I John 4:4

21.  "He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways."  Psalm 91:11

22. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

23.  "Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."   I John 4:4

24.  "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me."  John 14:1

25.  "We are more than conquerors through him who loved us."  Romans 8:37

26.  "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good."            Genesis 50:20

27.  "I have hidden your word in my heart that I may not sin against you."  Psalm 119:11

28.  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:9


Check our:
Philippians 4:7
John 14:27
Psalm 27:1
Proverbs 18:10
Psalm 71:5
Psalm 31:24
Psalm 23:4
Psalm 145:8



No comments: