The Christmas Gift Book Set

The Christmas Gift Book Set
Giving children a "Stable Background" as they learn about the real meaning of Christmas

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Over "Stuffing' Our Lives

by Jeannine Carroll

A few yeas ago, I was traveling across Mexico.  I had taken my second trip to Mexico to learn more about their culture and way of living.  For three days I lived with a family in the city of Chihuahua.  According to our standards, this was a very poor family, but in their city, they were middle class.  They lived in a five-room cement home, one of the very few with a black-iron security fence around it.

They were a warm and loving family that went out of their way to make me feel at home.  They were so proud to show me that they had a shower and even though I couldn't get the hot water to work, I was very thankful for it!  They always had food prepared when they knew I was going to be there and they asked me each day if I wanted to take a shower.  I know that this family was careful not to waste anything and I really hoped I was not causing a hardship for them.

 As I look at this family, that we would say has very little, I can't help but wonder.



This mother was able to stay at home with her three daughters and had the time and energy to welcome strangers.  I found myself wondering if we would have been able to find enough host families for our group in my neighborhood.  This family didn't have a computer, video games, or even a washer or dryer  There were no closets full of clothes but as I remember this family, I realize how little that matters.

     In our country, we are willing to work long hours and give much of our energy to acquiring things we are sure we need.  Some of us are beginning to ask, "How much is enough?"  How much time are we willing to take from our families?  How much time are we willing to spend taking care of the "things" that begin to own us?  What is more important to us, the relationships with those we love or having more "stuff"?

     How can we help our children not to fall into the traps of thinking they need all this "stuff"?

     First, we need to be role models for children and curb our own appetites for more and more.

     Second, we can involve children in "giving" activities.  Whether we are giving to those in need or working to better our environment, we are seeing beyond just ourselves.

     By helping children to understand that many people in this world don't have all the things they need while others have much more,  we are helping them to develop compassion.

     Let's choose to make time for loving relationships a priority and enjoy life, not things!
   
   

No comments: